G Suite For Education
What is G Suite For Education?
Stafford County Public Schools (SCPS) is adopting G Suite for Education (formerly Google Apps for Education, or GAFE) in support of our C5W (Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity, Citizenship and Wellness). This system, powered by Google, provides a suite of products such as Google Mail, Google Drive and Google Calendar. We are joining over 50 million other students and teachers that are already using G Suite in schools around the world.
We are excited to offer G Suite for Education as it represents an important step towards preparing our students for their future, which is the mission of Stafford County Public Schools. The SCPS vision is to inspire and empower all students to become creative thinkers, problem solvers and effective communicators. We will provide a broad spectrum of innovative opportunities while ensuring an engaging and supportive learning environment. G Suite provides tools that can help meet the goals of the school division’s mission and vision and ensure our students have necessary career and college readiness skills.
What is included in G Suite for Education?
- Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides provide a platform to collaboratively utilize a word processing platform, spreadsheet tools, and presentation tools.
- Google Mail provides email accounts for student and teachers. Student email will be tiered in capability with only high school students having access to email outside of the school division.
- Google Calendar lets students and teachers create and share school or class calendars and events.
- Google Drive lets students and teachers upload, create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, and forms.
- Google Sites allows students to create and/or edit web sites.
- Google Classroom is a simplified learning management system that allows teachers to distribute work to students, receive work back, and essentially creates a paperless classroom in which students can work independently or collaborate on assignments.
What are the benefits of Google Apps?
- Through calendars and email, students can stay informed about the latest assignments and activities.
- Google Apps works on any device with a web browser - which means students can access their email, calendars, and documents from school or at home.
- Documents are automatically saved and stored in Google Drive.
- Students and teachers can collaborate easily online.
- Teachers can provide comments and feedback directly in students’ documents.
- Students can develop an e-portfolio of work throughout their years at SCPS.