The Parent Resource Center
The Parent Resource Center (PRC) is an information center for Stafford County families and others concerned with the education and care of children with disabilities. The center is open to any family who resides in Stafford County. The primary goal of the PRC staff is to promote the parent/teacher partnership in all activities. The PRC provides:
- Support through listening and problem solving with families
- Workshops for families and educators
- Newsletter, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to inform families of current issues in special education and resources available locally and beyond
- Referral services to help families locate local, state, and national agencies
- A lending library of books, DVDs, videotapes, and information on various disability and parenting topics
We are located at the Alvin York Bandy School Administration Complex, Professional Development Center (PDC), Room 17. 37 Stafford Ave., Stafford, VA 22554. The PRC is open when SCPS schools are in session. We are available online as well!
PRC Resources and What We Can Do For You!
We maintain a lending library that serves as a resource to parents, staff and student. Approximately 2,000 books, DVDs, and other materials addressing various topics and disabilities are available to be checked out. Our materials cover the following topics:
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Problems
- Disability Awareness
- Down Syndrome
- Early Childhood
- Emotional Disabilities
- Leukemia, Cancer and other diseases
- Family Life
- Gifted students with learning differences
- Hearing Impairments
- Special Education law
- Learning Disabilities
- Mental Health- OCD, Bipolar, etc.
- Other disabilities: Tourette's, Fragile X, Central Auditory Processing, Nonverbal Learning Disorders, etc.
- Response to Intervention
- Self Esteem
- Sensory Integration
- Severe and Multiple Disabilities
- Social Skills
- Vision Impairments
- The PRC also offers yearly workshops on various topics. Our workshops this year include topics such as:
- Special Needs Trusts
- Government Programs
- Life Planning
- Planning for the Summer
- One-on-one "Understanding the IEP Process"
There will also be additional workshops added throughout the year.
About Our Staff
The PRC has two staff members, an Educator Coordinator and a Parent Coordinator.
Rebecca Leggitt, the Educator Coordinator has been with the PRC since 2000. She has over ten years of teaching experience in Special Education. She is also the mother of a son who receives Special Education services through SCPS.
Dianne DeVito, the Parent Facilitator, joined the PRC in 2015. She was a Special Education paraprofessional at Rodney Thompson Middle School and prior to that she spent many years substitute teaching in SCPS elementary schools. She has a high school aged son who is in Commonwealth Governor's School (CGS) and an elementary aged daughter who receives Special Education services through SCPS.