Stafford County Public Schools uses both print and online textbooks and resources to support student learning. Textbooks are one of many tools students use to master classroom content. Textbooks and curricular resources are adopted annually by the School Board, using a cyclical adoption cycle.
Based on student need, textbooks are either issued one per student or are part of a classroom set of books. Most textbooks have both a print and online component. Students gain access to electronic content via their classroom teacher. Your child’s teacher can answer questions about accessing online textbooks.
The School Board of Stafford County (School Board) may adopt textbooks, including print and electronic media, for student use that serve as the primary curriculum basis for a grade-level subject or course from the list of textbooks approved by the Virginia Board of Education. The School Board may adopt textbook/curriculum resources which are not on the state-approved list, provided the selection is in accordance with VBOE regulations.
In approving textbooks, the School Board:
- appoints evaluation committees to review and evaluate textbooks;
- gives notice to parents that textbooks under consideration will be listed on the division’s website and made available at designated locations for review by any interested citizens;
- creates opportunities for persons reviewing such textbooks to present their comments and observations to the School Board;
- creates procedures to ensure appropriate consideration of citizen comments and observations; and
- establishes and makes known selection criteria.
The School Board shall use a comprehensive lens when selecting and adopting textbooks and curriculum resources which support the instructional goals of the school division and consider issues of religion, race, gender, cultural diversity, and multiple perspectives and views.
2023-2024 Resource Adoption