July 1st Changes
As of July 1 the following has changed:
The may have ONLY 1 passenger under 21 in the vehicle.
Texting or reading a TXT while driving is now a primary offense!
- Vehicles that assist with the management of roadside and traffic incidents or perform traffic management services along highways may be equipped with flashing, blinking, or alternating amber warning lights, qualifying these vehicles for Virginia’s “Move Over” law. The “Move Over” law requires drivers to proceed with caution and, if reasonable, change lanes when approaching stationary emergency vehicles on highways.
- Drivers passing a stationary mail vehicle displaying a flashing, blinking or alternating amber light must proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for road conditions.
- Bicycles, mopeds and other non-motorized vehicles are now included in the list of vehicles for which a motorist can be cited for following too closely.
- When passing stationary refuse-collection vehicles on roadways with less than four lanes, the driver must decrease his speed by 10 mph below the posted speed limit and pass at least two feet to the left of the vehicle. When passing a stationary refuse-collection vehicle on a roadway with at least four lanes – and at least two lanes intended for traffic proceeding in the same direction – the driver must pass in a lane not adjacent to the vehicle and yield the right of way.
- Motorists may cross double yellow lines to pass a pedestrian or a device moved by human power, including a bicycle, skateboard or foot scooter, if such movement can be made safely.
Behind-the-Wheel is offered to 10th graders. After they have passed and completed the classroom portion of Driver Education students will then be selected for Behind-the-Wheel based on when the permit was issued and if they have attended a Parent/Teen Meeting. It is also available to 11th & 12th graders who have passed classroom and also gone to the parent/teen meeting, if they have an elective PE class or are an aide during the 1st nine weeks of school and then later in the school when available.
Parent/Teen Meetings are held every month at different schools at 7:00 PM and last approx. 1 hr. It is required that both parent and teen attend, you should arrive about 15 mins before. You will also receive a certificate of attendance that will need to be turned into the Behind-the-Wheel instructors on the first day of class.
The cost of Behind-the-Wheel is $225.00. Cash, Check or Money Orders are accepted and made out to SHS or Stafford High School. If you are unable to pay the student will be rotated back into PE and will be eligible to take the class on the next rotation. Due to this class being optional payment MUST be made the day the class starts.
After the student has completed classroom, Behind-the-Wheel, their 45-hr driving log and held their permit for 9 months they are eligible for the Temporary Driver's License (TDL). This will be issued on Wednesday in the front lobby from 7:00 AM- 7:30 AM. The following things are also needed: a Parent with a drivers license, 45-hr driving log and the Student.
**REMINDER** License WILL NOT be issued without a 45-hour log**
Parent/Teen Meetings for 2017/2018: All meetings start at 7pm. Please arrive 15 minutes prior
11/6/17 - North Stafford 3/1/18 - Brooke Point
12/11/17 - Stafford High 4/9/18 - North Stafford
1/9/18 - Colonial Forge 5/14/18 - Stafford High
2/5/18 - Mountain View 6/5/18 - Colonial Forge