Resignation & Retirement

  • Retirement If you are thinking about retirement and desire more information about your retirement benefits through the Virginia Retirement System, (VRS) you may contact a VRS retirement counselor at 1-888-827-3847 or go to  Select the myVRS link to set up your member VRS Account.  This online tool gives you access to personalized benefit estimates, retirement planning tools, life insurance information and much more.

    For questions about continuing health insurance through a Stafford County Public School retiree group health plan, contact Brie Austin in the Benefits Office at (540) 658-6598.

    Please note that in order to ensure timely retirement payments from VRS, the agency needs ninety (90) days advance notice. A copy of your birth certificate is required.  If you are married, your spouse is required to sign the VRS retirement application.

    If you are sure you want to resign or retire, you must complete the Request for Voluntary Termination of Employment Form. It is important that you specify whether you are requesting retirement or a resignation.  The completed form may be sent to  Upon receipt of the form, the Department of Human Resources will send you an exit packet containing either retirement or resignation paperwork as required by federal, state, and local laws and regulations.  If you have questions about how to complete any forms in exit packet, please contact the Payroll Office at (540) 658-6000.

    Please be advised that submission of a completed Request for Voluntary Termination of Employment Form will result in it being forwarded to the School Board for approval.  Upon approval by the School Board, the Department of Human Resources will notify you in writing.