Continuing Education Opportunities...
Please see individual school information tabs.
The Northern Virginia Writing Project Summer Learning Institute - Professional Development Opportunity!
Come to the Informational Night for The Northern Virginia Writing Project Invitation Learning Institute on June 12th at 5 p.m. (Dixon Smith Middle School Library)
Who can attend? K-12 Educators-from ANY content area
DESCRIPTION of Program
An affiliate, from among more than 200 sites, of the National Writing Project, the Northern Virginia Writing Project offers its Invitational Learning Institute, a three-week and 5 Saturdays intensive program of professional development for educators at all levels pre-K through university in all subjects and curricular areas. Following the proven model of the National Writing Project, participants write daily and for specific purposes, share their writing in peer groups, read and discuss research of interest to them and to the field of education, and share best practices. All elements relate to the two tenets that are the foundation of every Writing Project site:
- Teachers Teaching Teachers, and
- Teachers of Writing Must Write
The NVWP ISI will focus on four dimensions through which participants will explore their roles as both teachers and writers. These four dimensions will provide a framework for weekly thinking, discussion, reading, and writing.
- Writing for Self (Writing as Reflection/Reflexivity, Writing as a Process of Learning)
- Writing in a Classroom Context for/with Students (Writing as Modeling, Writing as Instruction, Writing to Respond)
- Writing for Colleagues/Administrators (Writing for an Internal Audience)
- Writing for Public(s)/Publication (Writing for an External Audience)
Dixon Smith Middle School (Library)
When: July 5-July 26, 2017 (Monday – Thursday) (8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.) + 5 Saturdays: 9/9/17, 10/14/17, 11/11/17, 12/9/17, 1/6/18
FREE to qualifying Stafford Employees: Earn 6 Graduate Credits in English OR Education
Contact for more info: email@example.com (Stephenie Fellinger)