HH Poole Middle School Robotics Club
Purpose and Focus:
- The club is for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders who want to learn about the engineering and design process, and/or use the skills learned here as preparation for the eighth grade I&E school competition.
- The students will be designing robots to take part in three separate “Boe Bot” challenges during the 2017-2018 school year.
- This is a full-year commitment. The competition season starts in September and runs through April of 2018.
- The emphasis will be on team-building, solid design process, safety and gaining experience.
- We will conduct intra-club competitions to test the robots and gain experience.
- All HH Poole students who maintain a B average.
- Unfortunately due to budget and equipment constraints, not everyone who applies can be accommodated in the club. Decisions will be made based on the student’s application responses and recommendation.
- Each team will have up to 5 members
- Teams will be constructed to distribute experience
- Sample makeup: 1 experienced eighth grader, 2 seventh graders, 2 sixth graders – some team members will not have previous robotics experience.
Meeting Days and Times:
- Alternating Wednesdays from 3:10 - 4:30pm throughout the school year. The first meeting is Sept. 27, 2017. The last meeting is April 18, 2018.
- Teams may meet outside of regular after-school meetings if the entire team is in attendance. Additional meetings are up to individual teams to organize and must be supervised by Mrs. Papas.
- It is important for students to attend every scheduled club meeting. Please carefully consider your other activities before applying.
Applications Deadline, Club selection and First meeting:
- Applications are due Friday, 22 September 2017 by the end of school.
- Previous club members will be guaranteed a spot provided they have maintained a B average, complete the “commitment” statement, and identify their means of transportation.
- New members will be notified, and returning members confirmed on Monday, the 25th of September, 2017.
- First meeting for new members will be Wednesday, the 27th of September, 2017.
- Some budget is available through the school, however families may be asked to help coordinate and participate in fundraising activities in order to purchase additional robots/parts.