Virginia Department of Education
Parent Notification Letter
Right to Request Information on Teacher Qualifications
As Required Under the Every Student Succeeds of 2015
Parent’s Right to Know, participation and Opt out letter
Parent Involvement & student participation and Opt out of assessments
As Required Under the Every Student Succeeds of 2015 and Notification of the School Report Card
Dear Parent or Guardian,
On December 10, 2015 the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) was signed into law. Section 1111(h)(6)(A) states that as a parent of a student in our elementary school, receiving Title I funds, the school shall provide you with the following:
- Parents should be provided the level of achievement of their children each year based on the results of state assessments.
- Parents should be invited to an annual meeting to inform parents of their right to be involved in the planning of school improvement programs. In addition, a number of parent meetings should be scheduled to involve parents in decisions related to the education of their children.
- Include parents in an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of the parent involvement policy in improving the academic quality, including identifying barriers to greater participation by parents.
- Parents should be involved in decisions that determine how federal funds for parental involvement are used, including activities promoting family literacy and parenting skills.
- A school-parent compact should be developed that outlines how parents and the school share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement.
In addition, we are required to notify you that our school’s performance on state standardized tests is available for parents to review. The state School Report Card can be found on our school’s web page, or you can request a printed copy in the front office of our school.
Section 1112(e)(2) of the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) requires divisions that receive Title I, Part A, funds to notify parents of students attending Title I schools that the parents may request information regarding any state or division policy regarding student participation in required assessments.
- At the beginning of each school year, a local educational agency that receives funds under this part shall notify the parents of each student attending any school receiving funds under this part that the parents may request, and the local educational agency will provide the parents on request (and in a timely manner), information regarding any State or local educational agency policy regarding student participation in any assessments mandated by section 1111(b)(2) and by the State or local educational agency, which shall include a policy, procedure, or parental right to opt the child out of such assessment, where applicable. The notice must be made available in any language as requested by a parent.
A revision on December 10, 2015, the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) was signed into law. Section 1112(e)(2) of ESSA states that parents of students in Title I schools have a right to know about state or division policies regarding student participation in any assessments mandated by ESSA, including any policy, procedure, or parental right to opt students out of such assessments.
If you would like to receive any of this information, please contact the school principal, either by phone or in writing.