School Crossing Guard Responsibilities:
Stafford County Public Schools has approximately 365 sworn Sheriff’s Office School Crossing Guards. The majority of our crossing guards are volunteer employees (i.e., paraprofessionals, teachers, housekeeping, principals, assistant principals, administrative assistants, etc.).
- The Crossing Guards are responsible for the safety of children crossing busy streets and intersections to and from school.
- They provide safety for children at designated crossing near designated elementary and middle schools.
- Escort children across the street going to and from school.
- Help to prevent children from crossing the street during heavy traffic flow until it is safe to cross.
- Report license numbers to the Sheriff’s Office of cars who fail to slow down near school zones, or who fail to stop for children when signaled to do so.