Contact the Driver's Education Staff
Driver Education Coordinator
Behind the Wheel Instructor
Below, you will find information on:
- Summer School Behind the Wheel information
- Steps to getting your driver's license
- Classroom Driver Education (including obtaining your classroom completion card for behind the wheel).
- Behind the Wheel
- Parent Teen Driver Meeting
- How to get your PDL from school (this only applies to you IF you took/passed BTW through SCPS and are eligible)
Steps to Getting your Driver’s Licenses
Here are the 8 steps to getting your driver’s license. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s driver education teacher or Ms. Phalen, our behind the wheel instructor.
- Get your permit (earliest is 15 and 6 months) at the DMV. You have to pass with a 100% on the Roads Signs Test and at least an 80% on the General Knowledge exam.
- Take and pass classroom driver education. This means a passing grade AND meeting all 36 hours of driver education classroom instruction.
- Attend the Parent Teen Driver Meeting- It is a requirement for student and parent/guardian to attend our Parent Teen Driver Meeting prior to starting behind the wheel. More information about the meeting can be found below.
Steps 1-3 can be completed in any order, but all 3 steps must be completed before moving on to step 4.
- Take and pass behind the wheel- Behind the wheel is a road skills course for students under 18 years old. Students must take/pass behind the wheel in order to receive their drivers licenses. In order to be eligible for Behind the Wheel, students must have a valid Virginia's learners permit, passed classroom driver education, and attended the Parent-Teen Driver Meeting. Information about behind the wheel can be found below.
- Complete 45 hours of driving (15 at night). Students must log their hours and turn in the log on the day they get their driver's licenses.
- Hold permit for 9 months.
Steps 4-6 can be completed in any order but must be completed before the provisional driver's license is issued.
- The Provisional Driver's License is issued from the company in which you took behind-the-wheel. This license is a piece of paper and, along with your permit, will act as your driver's license. It's good for 180 days.
- You will receive your hard copy driver's license in the mail from the DMV.
Classroom Driver Education
Classroom driver education is a requirement for students under the age of 18. The classroom instruction will be given during the student's PE class during the 10th grade school year. Students must be present for all 36 periods of classroom instruction AND pass the class in order to be eligible to take behind the wheel. Behind the wheel instruction is offered during school hours if certain age and licensing requirements are met.
Classroom completion cards are kept in the front office at school. If you need your classroom completion card to start behind the wheel, please email your driver education teacher or the behind the wheel instructor, Ms. Phalen.
Behind the Wheel
Behind the Wheel is a course required by DMV, in which instructors are evaluating the student's skills to make sure they are proficient and sound drivers. At the conclusion of the course, students will take the Final Road Skills Test. Behind the Wheel is not a driving lesson class.
If you are interested in taking behind the wheel at Colonial Forge High school, please fill out the following form. You will be contacted based upon availability and scheduling. Filling out the interest form does not guarantee you will be able to take behind the wheel this current school year.
In order to be eligible for Behind the Wheel, students must have a valid Virginia learners permit, pass classroom driver education, and attend the Parent-Teen Driver Meeting. Students can only take Behind the Wheel before school, during a free class period (such as a study hall or office aid), or during their P.E./Elective P.E. class. The fee for Behind the Wheel is $225. If you participate in the school's free meals or reduced meals program, please contact our behind the wheel instructor, Ms. Phalen.
Students must have a minimum of 20 hours (the first 20 lessons in the 45 hour driving log) on various roadways such as, but not limited to, neighborhoods, I95, backroads, and main routes before starting behind the wheel.
Additional paperwork and instructions will be emailed once your child has been scheduled. If you have questions or concerns regarding the process, please reach out to:
- Laurie Phalen- firstname.lastname@example.org
- CFHS Phone Number- (540) 658-6115
Link to interest form- 2023-2024 Behind the Wheel Interest Form
*You must be logged into your SCPS google account to fill out the interest form.
The Parent-Teen Driver Meeting
The Parent-Teen Driver Meeting is an initiative to reduce the number of car crashes and save lives of teen drivers through parent awareness and education. This required parent meeting targets parents as key players in influencing teens to drive safely and responsibly. The meeting will bring together parents, students, schools, law enforcement and community resources for an awareness campaign. The meeting agenda includes the following:
Prerequisites for taking Behind the Wheel1. Must have taken and passed classroom Drivers Education Course2. Must have valid Virginia learners permit3. Complete/Attend 90 Minute Parent Teen Meeting - Partnership for Safe Teen Driving (see schedule below)4. At least 20 hours of driving (preferred)Colonial Forge will be hosting a 90 Minute Parent/Teen Meeting on August 29, 2023 for Colonial Forge students ONLY. The meeting will be held in the auditorium. After the August 29th meeting, each high school will host one meeting that all 5 high schools are welcome to attend. All meetings will be held in that school's auditorium. The meeting dates are:
- An explanation of the Behind the Wheel program and the 45-Hour Parent/Teen Driving Guide with required log sheet.
- Highlights of traffic laws pertaining to teens and the graduated licensing restrictions from the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office.
- Information for Reducing the Risk from GEICO.
- The parents’ role in teen driving.
- October 17th @ MVHS at 6 PM
- November 8th @ BPHS at 6 PM
- January 8th @ CFHS at 6 PM
- March 25th @ NSHS at 6 PM
- May 8th @ SHS at 6 PM
How to get your PDL
(this only applies to you IF you took/passed BTW through SCPS and are eligible)
Have you passed the final road test for Behind the Wheel? Are you eligible to pick up your Provisional Driver’s License (PDL)? Appointments can be scheduled with Ms. Phalen.
To schedule an appointment, you can:
- Call at (540) 658-6115 (ask for Ms. Phalen)
- Email at email@example.com