The commitment to continuous learning is important, and the renewal process ensures that school personnel continually update their professional knowledge and skills. Teaching licenses that are valid for five years may be renewed upon the completion of a total of 180 professional development points. Please refer to the Virginia Department of Education Teacher Licensure Renewal Manual. You must earn these points during the validity period of your license.
Please consult licensure view in the Professional Development module in your Frontline account to ensure that you are on track to earn the required number of points for renewal. A representative from the SCPS HR department will reach out to all employees due for renewal concerning renewal information and deadlines. Stafford County Public Schools can begin submitting renewals to the Virginia Department of Education beginning January 1 of the renewal year. Please do not submit renewal applications prior to January 1 of the renewal year. Once requested, all renewal information should be forwarded to Human Resources by April 30 of the renewal year. Teachers still completing requirements after this date should contact Connie Irby at Irbycl@staffordschools.net or Rita Champagne at email@example.com to ensure renewal by June 30 of the renewal year. Please remember that licensure is a condition of employment for teachers.
Please note: Provisional licenses are not renewable – requirements must be completed by the expiration date on the Provisional license.
For License Renewal, submit the following to SCPS Human Resources-Licensure:
- Certificate of Completion for Child Abuse and Neglect Module;
- Verification of completion of CPR, AED, and First Aid Module;
- Certificate of Completion for Dyslexia Training Module;
- If applicable, a Certificate of Completion for the Virginia State and Local Civic Education Module Certificate;
- If applicable, a Certificate of Completion for the School Counselor's Training.
- All SCPS licensed employees whose licenses are to expire June 30 will receive a License Renewal Information Sheet year in January of the renewal year. This will be used to indicate changes in name and/or address as well as to request the addition of endorsements and degrees to current licenses.
The VA Department of Education is in the process of updating requirements. This information will be shared with all due for renewal as soon as it is available.
Stafford County Public Schools pays the $50 fee for license renewal as well as the $50 fee for the addition of endorsements to current licenses.