Adding and Removing Endorsements
The Virginia Licensure Regulations for School Personnel allow a license holder to add an endorsement to their license based on verification of the completion of an approved program for that endorsement or the inclusion of the new endorsement on a full, renewable out-of-state license. If neither of the above applies, an evaluation for the endorsement must be requested by the employing Virginia school division.
Added endorsements are available through the following options:
- Completing the courses for an additional major in the new area with specific requirements met; or
- Completing the requirements for a designated add-on endorsement (Driver Education, Gifted Education, Algebra I, etc.); or
- A passing score on a Praxis II Specialty Area Test in an area for which Virginia requires a Praxis II test (except Special Education). If the individual holds a Provisional License, the Praxis II assessment for their original endorsement must be completed before additional endorsements can be added through testing. This route is not an option for areas that do not require a Praxis II assessment (Special Education, Latin, etc.) or for the elementary education endorsement (PK-3 or PK-6).
- Submit notification to the Licensure Office requesting the addition of the endorsement(s) to a valid teaching license.
- Official transcript(s). Only an original transcript as provided by the issuing school will be accepted. Copies downloaded from the internet will not be accepted. E-script Transcripts will be accepted only if they are ordered to be emailed directly to Connie Irby at Irbycl@staffordschools.net from the school or service.
- Professional Teacher Assessment score report(s), i.e., Praxis II or RVE. Copies are acceptable.
- At this time, Stafford County Public Schools covers the cost of adding endorsements to current licenses for its Full Time Licensed employees.
- If the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) determines that all of the required coursework is met, the teacher is issued a license with the new endorsement(s).
- If a teacher is deficient in coursework (6 credit hours or less) for the additional endorsement, the teacher may be issued a provisional license with the new endorsement(s), providing they are under contract for the endorsement area sought.
- If the request to add an endorsement requires more than 6 credit hours, a letter delineating the required coursework is issued by the Virginia DOE. This evaluation is valid for a period of three years in which the individual has an opportunity to complete the coursework.
Removal of endorsement(s):
- Please submit a written request addressed to the Virginia Department of Education, Division of Teacher Education and Licensure, to the SCPS licensure office and include in your written request that you wish to drop an endorsement with a statement that includes, “I am aware that there will be a fee to evaluate/add this endorsement back in the future and that I will have to meet the requirements at the time the endorsement is requested.”
Please send the ink signed letter to Stafford County Public Schools HR office through courier/interoffice mail or by US Mail to: Stafford County Public Schools HR, 31 Stafford Ave., Stafford, VA 22554
Adding a Degree
Please send the information below to the Human Resources Licensure Specialist at the SCPS School Board Office: 31 Stafford Ave., Stafford, VA 22554.
- Submit official transcripts (only an original/official transcript as provided by the issuing school will be accepted) reflecting the conferral date of the degree to the Human Resources Department, Licensure Office. Copies downloaded from the internet will not be accepted. E-script Transcripts will be accepted only if they are ordered to be emailed directly to Connie Irby at Irbycl@staffordschools.net from the school or service.
- At this time, Stafford County Public Schools covers the cost of adding degrees to current licenses for its Full Time Licensed employees.
- To receive the additional compensation for earning a graduate-level degree, you must complete the Educational Supplement Request Form (for Licensed Staff).
Changing your Name
You may change the name on your license at any time. In order to complete this request, you must submit the appropriate name change form to the Stafford County Public Schools Human Resources Department Licensure Office. Please be sure that you have submitted the name change in ESS prior to requesting a name change on your teaching license. There is no additional cost to change your name. However, there is a $25.00 charge if you request a new copy of your license to reflect your updated name. If you are requesting a new copy of your license, please attach a check or money order for $25.00, payable to the Treasurer of Virginia, with your request. Otherwise, your name will be changed and the change will be reflected on the license the next time you renew.
Please send all of the above information to the Human Resources Licensure Specialist at the SCPS School Board Office: 31 Stafford Ave., Stafford, VA 22554.