The Parent Teacher Resource Center
The Parent Teacher Resource Center (PTRC) is an information center for Stafford County families and others concerned with the education and care of children with disabilities. The center is open to any family who resides in Stafford County. The primary goal of the PRC staff is to promote the parent/teacher partnership in all activities. The PRC provides:
- Support through listening and problem solving with families
- Workshops for families and educators
- Newsletter, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to inform families of current issues in special education and resources available locally and beyond
- Referral services to help families locate local, state, and national agencies
- A lending library of books, DVDs, videotapes, and information on various disability and parenting topics
Our Center moved in November of 2017 and we now are located at 610 Gayle Street, Washington Building, Fredericksburg, VA 22405.
Feel free to stop by Monday through Friday from 8am to 3:30pm to ask questions or look at our resources. It is always good to call ahead in case we are out at meetings or conducting Workshops elsewhere. Call the center at 540-899-6000 to make an appointment.
We maintain a lending library that serves as a resource to parents, staff and student. Approximately 2,000 books, DVDs, and other materials addressing various topics and disabilities are available to be checked out. Our materials cover the following topics:
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Behavioral Problems
- Disability Awareness
- Down Syndrome
- Early Childhood
- Emotional Disabilities
- Leukemia, Cancer and other diseases
- Family Life
- Gifted students with learning differences
- Hearing Impairments
- Special Education law
- Learning Disabilities
- Mental Health- OCD, Bipolar, etc.
- Other disabilities: Tourette's, Fragile X, Central Auditory Processing, Nonverbal Learning Disorders, etc.
- Response to Intervention
- Self Esteem
- Sensory Integration
- Severe and Multiple Disabilities
- Social Skills
- Vision Impairments
- The PRC also offers yearly workshops on various topics. Our workshops this year include topics such as:
- Special Needs Trusts
- Government Programs
- Life Planning
- Planning for the Summer
- One-on-one "Understanding the IEP Process"
There will also be additional workshops added throughout the year.
About Our Staff
The PRC has two staff members, an Educator Coordinator and a Parent Coordinator.
Rebecca Leggitt, the Educator Coordinator has been with the PTRC since 2000. She has over ten years of teaching experience in Special Education in other states and received her graduate degree in Public Administration with an emphasis in health and hospital administration. She worked in health and hospital administration till her family moved to Virginia. She is also the mother of a young adult son who received Special Education services through SCPS.
Mari Waite, the Parent Coordinator, joined the PTRC in August 2019. Her son was diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum and this has ultimately fueled her interest in the world of special needs and education. For most of the last ten years, Mari has worked in a primary school in the United Kingdom supporting individual children with special needs. Mari and her family spent two years here in Stafford County and are thrilled to be back...for good.