Mid-Term Exam and Final Exam Information | January 2019
Get Ready to Study!
Exams are an important time of the year for our students to show what they have learned in our rigorous courses. Students should be planning ahead to study for exams in order to properly prepare.
Examinations will take place January 23-28, 2019. There is no school for students on Tuesday, January 29, 2019. In an effort to be proactive and recapture lost instructional time due to previous snow days and a delay, our school division has made the decision that both Thursday, January 24, 2019, and Friday, January 25, 2019 will now be full days of school.
Because we are on hybrid block scheduling, students will be taking final exams for their Fall Term courses (courses that meet every day for the Fall Term) and mid-term exams for their Year-Long courses (courses that meet for the entire school year). Some students have both types of classes in their schedule and will be taking both final exams and mid-term exams. Please refer to your student's schedule on StudentVUE/ParentVUE for clarification.
Below is important information about our exams:
- Examinations will be one testing block in length as identified below. If schools are closed due to inclement weather prior to or during examinations, the exam schedule may be modified as necessary. Any changes will be reflected on this Web page.
- There will be no early-dismissal on January 23-25, 2019. There is an early dismissal on Monday, January 28, 2019 at 11:45 AM.
- Extra-curricular activities and athletic practices must conclude by 5:00 PM on January 22-24, 2019. Extra-curricular activities may be scheduled on Friday, January 25, 2019.
- Students may not leave an exam early. Please do not schedule appointments requiring an early dismissal during exams.
- Exams will be administered according to the exam schedule below. Any request for changes must be in writing from the parent/guardian to the Principal at least two days in advance with the reason for the request. Only emergencies will be considered. Please plan your vacations accordingly.
- Students must arrive to school on time. Students who arrive more than 10 minutes late will not be permitted to take the exam and must reschedule at the teacher's convenience after 2:15 PM on the regular school days or after 11:45 AM on the early dismissal date (Monday, January 28, 2019).
- For the early-dismissal date on Monday, January 28, 2019, a morning break has been planned in the schedule to allow students to use the restroom, socialize with friends, and eat a light snack. Light snacks will be available to purchase from our cafeteria. Drinks will also be available for purchase. Lunch will not be served on Monday, January 28, 2019.
- Students who have earned an exemption in a course have the opportunity to take the final exam to improve their final grade without risk. This applies only to final exams and not mid-term exams. All students must take their mid-term exam(s).
- Governor's School students will take their exams at their travel schools according to a schedule established by Governor's School staff and school administration.
After a student is done studying for final exams, the student must return their issued textbook back to their teacher. The exemption status is also based on the return of the student textbook in all classes that are ending.
Spring Term courses will begin on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 (X-Day).
Final Exam Exemption Information
Students may be exempt from taking final exams depending on certain criteria. Any student that is exempt may take their final exam to improve their final grade in their course without any penalty.
Students are not exempt from mid-term exams.
Exemption forms may be printed from our Library for free and are due to the Main Office by the deadline specified. This form will also be e-mailed to all students to their school G Suite for Education account (@scps.net). This form is available to download in the "Downloadable Files" section on this Web page.
Students who are exempt from exams, according to the Stafford County Public Schools Exam Policy stated below, may be excused from attending the scheduled exam listed with parental/guardian permission and prior arrangements. Students who have an exemption during the first examination block may not enter the building until 9:30 AM on Friday, January 25, 2019, or until 9:35 AM on Monday, January 28, 2019. Students who are exempt from their second examination on Friday, January 25, 2019, may not leave the building. Students will wait in their exam block's classroom to follow the rest of the day's schedule. Students who are exempt during the second examination block on Monday, January 28, 2019, must leave the school grounds immediately after their first examination and no later than 9:50 AM.
Exemption status is based on continued performance and attendance in all classes and can be revoked based on exam exemption criteria until the day of the actual exam. The exemption status is also based on the return of the student textbook in all classes that are ending.
Students are exempt from final exams when they meet one of the following criteria below*:
- Option 1: The student maintained an "A" (93%) average for the course for the entire year and has not been suspended out of school during the semester.
- Option 2: The student (Grades 9-11) maintained a "B" (83%) average, had two or fewer absences, and was not suspended out of school during the semester.
- Option 3: The student (Grade 12) maintained a "B" (83%) average, had three or fewer absences, and was not suspended out of school during the semester.
- Option 4: The student passed an applicable SOL test during the semester.
*Students enrolled in college-credit courses will be required to take examinations if required for college credit.
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 | Full Day of School
Exam 1—Block 1 X-Day Mid-Term Exam and CTE Year-Long Mid-Term Exam
7:40 AM-9:30 AM
Exam 2—Block 2 X-Day Mid-Term Exam and CTE Year-Long Mid-Term Exam
9:42 AM-11:38 AM
For the remainder of the day, students will attend Block 3X and Block 4X classes following the bell schedule below. Students will attend lunch according to their regular lunch schedule. The mid-day travel bus will depart at 11:40 AM. Mid-day travel bus students will need to leave their classroom at 11:30 AM. Morning and afternoon travel times are unchanged. Seniors will not leave class early for lunch.
Thursday, January 24, 2019 | Full Day of School
Exam 1—Block 3 Y-Day Mid-Term Exam and CTE Year-Long Mid-Term Exam
7:40 AM-9:30 AM
Exam 2—Block 4 Y-Day Mid-Term Exam and CTE Year-Long Mid-Term Exam
9:42 AM-11:38 AM
For the remainder of the day, students will attend Block 1Y and Block 2Y classes following the bell schedule below. Students will attend lunch according to the lunch schedule below. The travel bus will depart at 11:40 AM. Mid-day travel bus students will need to leave their classroom at 11:30 AM. Morning and afternoon travel times are unchanged. Seniors will not leave class early for lunch.
Friday, January 25, 2019 | Full Day of School
Exam 1—Block 3 Final Exam and Block 3 X-Day Mid-Term Exam
7:40 AM-9:30 AM
Exam 2—Block 4 Final Exam and Block 4 X-Day Mid-Term Exam
9:42 AM-11:38 AM
For the remainder of the day, students will attend Block 1X and Block 2X classes following the bell schedule below. Students will attend lunch according to the lunch schedule below. The travel bus will depart at 11:40 AM. Mid-day travel bus students will need to leave their classroom at 11:30 AM. Morning and afternoon travel times are unchanged. Seniors will not leave class early for lunch.
Monday, January 28, 2019 | Early Dismissal at 11:45 AM
Exam 1—Block 1 Final Exam and Block 1 Y-Day Mid-Term Exam
7:40 AM-9:35 AM
Morning Break - 9:35 AM-9:55 AM
Exam 2—Block 2 Final Exam and Block 2 Y-Day Mid-Term Exam
10:00 AM-11:45 AM
The travel bus will depart at 11:25 AM.
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 | Professional Day
No School for Students
Use the final grade calculators to create a "What-If" scenario for your final grades. First, complete the top-most grade calculator as this is what a traditional school year looks like. Next, complete the subsequent grade calculator based on your course where you may be exempt from taking a final exam. You will then be able to make a comparison of how much your grade will increase by with choosing to take the final exam. Enter your grades only in the yellow boxes below, entering the correct grade as it corresponds with the correct grade bucket above it and what is displayed in StudentVUE.
If your Semester 1 grade is less than a 50.0%, change the Quarter 1, Quarter 2, and Mid-Term Exam grade to 50.0% so that your Semester 1 grade averages to be 50.0%, per the Stafford County Public Schools Semester 1 Grade Policy. All students will receive a minimum of 50.0% for Semester 1. This is manually done by your teacher. If you do not have at least a 50% at Semester 1, please notify your teacher.
If a grade bucket is unknown or has not happened yet, enter "100" or a "What-If" score. Please note that this final grade calculator should only be used as a reference only.
For your actual final grade in a course, please reference your StudentVUE account.
Due to the Main Office no later than Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
The form above should only be downloaded and completed for Fall Term courses that meet every day for just the Fall Term. Students are not exempt from their mid-term exam if their course is year-long. All students taking at least one (1) Fall Term course must download and complete this form.