Second Grade Scoop - October 2019
- Reading: We will continue to focus on character traits and sequencing fiction stories. We will also be looking at non-fiction books and locating important text features.
- Writing: We are working on identifying nouns as people, places, and things. We will also be learning about adjectives (words that describe,) and verbs (action words.) We will continue to focus on writing with a main idea sentence and details to support the main idea.
- Math: Place value and ordering numbers will continue to be a focus in math. We will be rounding numbers to the nearest ten, and reviewing time to the hour and half hour. Please practice basic math facts at home with your child.
- Science: We have talked about what a scientist does and how he/she uses the scientific method. We are now working on a unit about matter.
- Social Studies: Later in the month we will begin a unit on basic map skills.
- Oct. 6: Moncure Clothing Sale
- Oct. 11: Early dismissal -- End of the first grading period
- Oct. 14: NO SCHOOL for students. Parent teacher conferences begin
- Oct. 18: Report cards go home
- Oct. 31: Our 1st STEM challenge (more information to come), & Early Dismissal
Word of the Month: Responsibility
Thank you for all that you do for your child!