Second Grade Scoop
December 2019/January 2020
Reading: We will be reading to identify theme, main idea, and drawing conclusions based on text.
Writing: This quarter students will generate topics of interest, organize information in writing, and use various sources to locate information for their topic. We will focus on using pronouns, synonyms, and antonyms.
Math: Adding double digits will take us through the month of December. We will be looking at data and learning how to make and read graphs. Later in the month, we will begin to talk about geometry and continue with subtraction. Don’t forget to practice those basic math facts at homeJ
Social Studies: December will be a month for learning all about economics. We act as producers and consumers to make and buy holiday crafts. As we move into January, we will learn about many famous Americans.
THANK YOU for ALL you do for your child! We hope each and every family enjoys a happy and healthy holiday season!
4: American History Field Trip
5: Picture Retakes
20: Design Challenge Day
End of 2nd Nine Weeks
Dec.23-Jan. 7: Winter Break
7: First day back for students
10: Report Cards go home
20: No School
27: No School for students
31: Student of the Month breakfast
With our ever-changing weather, make sure your child is prepared to go outside for recess and PE. Layers seem to work bestJ
November Second Grade Scoop 2019
It is hard to believe we are into the month of November. The holidays will be upon us in no time. Please take a look at what is to come in second grade this month.
Reading: Conflict and resolution will be our focus for the next few weeks in reading. We will also be using text features such as a table of context, index, and a glossary to help us better understand non-fiction books.
Writing: We will begin to do a little more writing this month. Students will understand that writing is a process that includes pre-writing, writing, editing, and sharing. We will learn about commas and where to place them in a friendly letter. Our phonics lessons will continue to focus on long vowel patterns.
Math:. Continue to practice basic math facts and time to the hour and half hour at home. We will soon be adding double digits and reviewing subtraction strategies.
Social Studies: Our unit on first Americans will take us into the month of December. We will be studying three groups of first Americans including the Powhatan, Lakota Sioux, and the Pueblo.
**With our ever-changing weather, please make sure your child is dressed to go outside for recess and PE. Layers seem to work best:)
5: No SCHOOL for students
6: Veteran’s Day program
11: Veteran’s Day: NO SCHOOL
15: Interims go home
22: Fall Festival
25: Native American projects are due
27-29: No School Thanksgiving Break
**Word of the Month:
Second Grade Scoop - October 2019
- Reading: We will continue to focus on character traits and sequencing fiction stories. We will also be looking at non-fiction books and locating important text features.
- Writing: We are working on identifying nouns as people, places, and things. We will also be learning about adjectives (words that describe,) and verbs (action words.) We will continue to focus on writing with a main idea sentence and details to support the main idea.
- Math: Place value and ordering numbers will continue to be a focus in math. We will be rounding numbers to the nearest ten, and reviewing time to the hour and half hour. Please practice basic math facts at home with your child.
- Science: We have talked about what a scientist does and how he/she uses the scientific method. We are now working on a unit about matter.
- Social Studies: Later in the month we will begin a unit on basic map skills.
- Oct. 6: Moncure Clothing Sale
- Oct. 11: Early dismissal -- End of the first grading period
- Oct. 14: NO SCHOOL for students. Parent teacher conferences begin
- Oct. 18: Report cards go home
- Oct. 31: Our 1st STEM challenge (more information to come), & Early Dismissal
Word of the Month: Responsibility
Thank you for all that you do for your child!