What is a Social Worker?

  • What a School Social Worker Does

    • Assist families in accessing community resources to include: therapists, psychiatrists (for evaluation or medication), counseling providers, parenting classes, financial assistance, food pantries, and housing resources

    • Connect families with community agencies such as: Stafford County Schools' Parent Resource Center, Department of Social Services (DSS), Rappahannock Area Community Services Board (RACSB), Court Services Unit, The DisAbility Resource Center, Rappahannock United Way, or Goodwill

    • Support students, families, and staff in understanding mental health diagnoses and strategies to use to help meet a student's needs

    • Participate in Student Education Committee (SEC) meetings, Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings, Section 504 meetings

    • Provide IEP counseling, when appropriate, to students experiencing behavioral challenges which interfere with students accessing their education

    • Prepare social history reports for students being considered to have an emotional disability or Autism

    • Assist in Functional Behavior Assessments and Behavioral Intervention Plans to identify strategies for a student to increase academic success in the classroom

    •  Support students, staff and families in crisis situations

    • Advocate for the needs of students