This document outlines the Student and Parent Expectations for Success in the Virtual Classroom. Please refer to this document frequently, and remember to reach out to your teacher for support when needed.
Elementary School students will receive instruction five days a week, with synchronous instruction (teacher-led) taking place twice a week and asynchronous (self-paced) learning three days a week.
Each elementary school is designated as Shift 1 or Shift 2.
Shift 1 (A and B students) Instruction 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Ferry Farm, Grafton Village, Hampton Oaks, Hartwood, Margaret Brent, Rockhill, Stafford, and Widewater Elementary Schools.
Shift 2 (A and B students) Instruction 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.: Anne E. Moncure, Anthony Burns, Conway, Falmouth, Garrisonville, Kate Waller Barrett, Park Ridge, Rocky Run, and Winding Creek Elementary Schools.
Beginning October 27th, elementary students will have a revised schedule that includes more frequent synchronous learning with your child’s teacher (from 2 days a week to 4 days a week) and reduces the length of the current synchronous days. The document below details the framework for the new schedule. Please refer to your child's school website for additional school-specific information.
Middle and High School students will receive four days a week of synchronous instruction (teacher-led) and one day a week of asynchronous learning (self-paced) during the first semester.
The first week of school SCPS will be closed on Friday, September 4th as required by State Law and Monday, September 7th due to the Labor Day holiday. In order to create consistency for students and to have four days of instruction, the following schedule will apply:
- Monday, August 31st and Wednesday. September 2nd: “X-Day” Students will begin synchronous learning online with teacher(s).
- Tuesday, September 1st and Thursday, September 3rd “Y-Day” Students will begin synchronous learning online with teacher(s).
- Monday, August 31st through Thursday, September 3rd: “4X4” Students will have synchronous learning online with teacher(s).
- On Tuesday, September 8th, we will resume school on the regular X-Day (Tuesday/Thursday) and Y-Day (Wednesday/Friday) schedule, with 4X4 synchronous resuming Tuesday through Friday.
Follow these instructions to determine if your child is in Schedule Group A or Group B:
- Log into ParentVue. (Please contact your student’s school for an access code to ParentVue if you do not have one.)
- If you have more than one SCPS student, select the student you wish to view from the top left.
- Select ‘Student Info’ from the tabs on the left.
- When the ‘Student Info’ screen is displayed, scroll down to the ‘Other Data Info’ section where you will find your child’s ‘Student Schedule Group’.
- Groups are subject to change to balance class sizes. You will be informed of any changes.
SCPS teachers will design a variety of instructional activities on asynchronous learning days to include pre-recorded video lessons, performance tasks, and/or differentiated resources for students to complete and apply their learning. At all levels, lessons will be available for students to review.
Support services for students will be provided as needed. Should your student require academic, social, or emotional support, please contact your child’s school.
Special Educational Services
Special education services will be determined by Individual Education Plan (IEP) teams and will be based on individualized student needs, as well as each student's least restrictive environment. Professional development will be provided for staff and parents to help support students with IEPs/504s remotely. IEP/504 meetings will be encouraged to discuss the unique needs of these students.
For students not covered through an IEP or 504, but who need learning support, refer to a Student Education Committee (SEC) team at your student's school.
English learners will be supported by a qualified teacher. The amount of time and types of services provided will be determined by the student's English language level, most recent WIDA ACCESS scores, and individual needs.